Sunday, May 18, 2014

Visa experience at Chennai for Clinical Skills examination



I am writing about my visa interview experience here, as there are not many experiences by people going to the States on the basis of CS alone. Now in order to go for electives, residency interviews or the Step 2 CS, you need to apply for a US visitor visa (B1/B2). Best is to try and apply as early as possible. Ideally, you should have taken Step 1 before you go for the interview.

I applied for B1/B2 visa. You can start the visa application process by filling in form DS160 here - https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ and then after getting the confirmation code complete the scheduling part here - http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/. Furthermore for people who are not sure which place to schedule your visa appointment, I hereby have attached the link- http://www.path2usa.com/us-consulates-in-india

Before I start talking about my experience thought should just mention it here, that each and every interview that I have read to date states that it totally depends on your luck i.e. depends on the interviewing Visa Officer’s (VO) mood. Reading this statement didn’t actually raise my spirits since luck hasn’t been on my side for the last few times when needed it badly.

At this juncture let me tell you that I'll divide this post into 3 parts

  1.   Things taken
  2. Questions and things that I thought would be asked
  3.  Actual interview 

1. THINGS TAKEN

Now collecting things to be taken for the appointment was a tedious task since you never know what the VO will want. So just to be on the safer side this was the list I had taken

I am writing them in a set wise manner.

1st set was GENERAL purpose documents
  • Passport + last expired passport.
  • US Visa Interview Appointment Letter (Date showing when is the OFC [finger print and photo will be taken] and when is the ACTUAL interview)
  • DS-160 confirmation page
  • Bank visa payment receipt (US Visa application fee receipt)
  • 2 passport photos ACCORDING to the USA visa requirements. (details found here http://ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-photoinfo.asp)
  • College Id card (to show you are a student)
Next set was for the questions why am I going to the States
Next set as to who would be sponsoring me in my case my dad
  • Affidavit from Dad stating that he'll be financing me- Find a sample here http://neilnf.blogspot.com/2014/08/same-visa-sponsor-letter-for-step-2-cs.html
  • His bank deposits, land documents etc.
  • Income tax certificate last 3 years
  • His passport photocopy plus his signature on it
  • Summary of all funds in one letter (for at a glance stuff)
Next set personal credentials
  • CV
  • Step 1 Score
  • Letter from college stating that I am a student and have to come back in order to graduate
  • NOC from college for the exam
  • LOR's from people
  • Transcripts 
  • Clerkship documents
Since had also applied for electives
  • Immunization certificates
  • Insurance certificates
 My own ID proof (Not needed) but just in case
  • Birth Certificate
  • PAN
  • Voters ID
  • Driver’s License
 And lastly an entire photocopy of the set just in case they ask to keep one. LOL :)

QUESTIONS EXPECTED AND STUFF LIKE THAT
Now for the questions part of this post I would recommend that you read umartariq (visa section - http://umartariq.com/node/70) Please go through each and every person’s experience. I felt it to be very informative. However the problem in the experience section is that everyone was going with the intention of ELECTIVES and not CS. But still it is a good place to start with in order to be prepared for surprise questions.
Few other sites which helped a lot was immihelp.com and path2usa [I have also attached links at the end of the post in case you want them]
Of course not to forget - ASK PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY gone for the interview recently as to what questions were asked to them since the VO’s don’t change their questions a lot:D:P
One question in particular which I felt should be told about is that about mentioning Step 3 on the visa application and during the visa interview? The answer is NO. Step 3 is a big no-no. The reason is that people who have gone previously for residency interviews had to stay longer to do Step 3 and many of them took extensions. Visa consulars know that. So, on the application and during the interviews, mention your reasons for visit as Step 2 CS examination and residency interviews…that’s all.

NOW COMING THE ACTUAL THING THAT HAPPENED AND DOCUMENTS TO BE TAKEN EACH TIME.

As my appointment was at Chennai I’ll narrate my visa experience there.
For your OFC appointment day, you will need to take:
  • Current passport + the last expired one if any
  • DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Appointment confirmation page.
  • One photograph as per U.S. visa specifications (you need this just in case the camera doesn’t work or so. It is not needed mostly, but why take a chance:D:P)
When getting into any rickshaw it is safest to tell them Apollo Cancer hospital, since the general public as well as the auto rickshaw fellows know about it and can point you in the right direction. The reason being that when I asked where the USA OFC centre was, people only gave me a look like I was talking in Latin and they were never asked such a ridiculous question! Anyhow I went there in the morning (appointment was in the evening) and  diagonally opposite the Apollo hospital as it is stated in the appointment letter you will find a group of people all lined up for the OFC appointment. (It is very well organised here as there are 2 separate lines based on the timings) 

So at your said appointment time you stand in the line with the above mentioned documents. The security guard tells you to enter when it is your turn. There are 3 to 4 guys in purple shirt who sit outside in the veranda and verify that you have all the necessary documents’ and then send you inside. The OFC thing happens on the 1st floor. It is a 1 - 2 mins procedure and then you can leave.

Now following your visit to the OFC place where your photo and fingerprints are taken, you will then visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
 Here you will need to take:
  • A printed copy of your appointment confirmation letter,
  • Your DS-160 confirmation page stamped at the OFC place (these 2 are the SAME LETTERS which you took the previous day)
  • Your current and all old passports, (current and the last expired one)
  • Supporting Documents as per your visa type (which I have listed above)
You can arrive at the place about half an hour in advance. Trust me, it is way more chaotic here than the OFC centre though not sure why. Anyhow keep asking the guy in front (he will be having an iPad ;) when you can enter as only he can let you in.) Now once he clears you (now you can put your tie and suit in case you have it since the show begins only after this) you’ll have a security check and then will be allowed to enter inside the consulate. Please note the things you can’t carry like mobile phone and stuff like that which will be mentioned in the appointment letter. 

Once you enter the visa consulate (it is an A/C room) you will first be issued a token number and then be sent to a place where they confirm your appointment and then you will have to sit in a place waiting for your turn. Here you can practise and check all the documents you have and keep them ready. Have a mock self-interview with yourself in your head to feel prepared.

Finally after this wait, my token number was called and I was asked to stand in a short line. Now my heart was pounding like crazy since I was expecting a tough time, since I had by mistake filled the duration intended to stay as 1 year and to my great fortune, the place which I had filled in my DS-160 form as intended stay was shut down when I checked on it prior to the interview. (I had revised my answers to 1 month and place to stay at a place where it was working and had the address :) The VO dint even bother about that.

Finally when I was called to the interview stand, I started the conversation with the VO, as was mentioned in many of the interviews I have read and I once again stress on the importance on seeing the earlier mentioned sites by wishing him ‘Good morning’ to which he replied ‘Good morning to you too’ and then asked me to hand over the passport and then started questioning me.

He asked me 4 questions (mind you 4 simple questions)
  1. Why are you going to the States? -To give my USMLE clinical skills examination
  2. Are you a physician? No, I am a final year student at XXX
  3. Which state do you intend to visit? Atlanta, Georgia
  4. How long do you intend to stay? 1 month
And boom he says your visa is approved have a nice day. I was pleasantly surprised with the interview and said thanks and went back a happy man:)

Few pointers for beginners -

1.      Wish them good morning/good afternoon early on. Don’t wait for them to initiate a conversation or ask a question. Helps build a good rapport.
2.      Be confident. You are not a thief. You are going there so that it helps you as well as them. If they don’t give you a Visa, it is not a big deal, you can apply again, and trust me a lot of people get it the next time.
3.      Also do tell them that you are a student as early as possible. Helps clear any doubt about your potential immigrant status.
4.      Be brief. Short and sweet is good. Do not elaborate unless asked.
5.      Carry all the documents you think might be important. You never know when you may need one.

All the best to all and trust in God. You will do wellJ

Now for those who come from places other than Chennai, mentioning a few places where you can stay and which are decently priced
  • Amar Jyothi House - +044-24337535
  • Century Residency - +044-28294001
Links to different sites



49 comments:

  1. This must be so useful to a million aspiring people. Please continue posting stuff related to a career in med Sir, since most of us are clueless on what to do next :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi @vishakha- I just wrote for ppl who are as clueless as me:) thanks for the positive feedback:) will continue writing as I progress through:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi neil, i m done with my graduation and step1. n i will be attending an interview soon in hyderabad.
    so what is ur opinion whether i should apply for cs call letter or generally go on with visiting purpose

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sweta- I think if you are going only on the basis of visiting you will have to go under B2 Visa (tourist visa).

    So advisable to go on CS call letter (B1/B2) since you can justify regarding the type of visa when asked.

    But I am not too sure about it. Better ask someone who is well versed in the field to be on the safer side.

    You can try looking at electives.us for further details on which type will suit you:)

    best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Neil,

    Is there any specific reason why you gave CS as a reason for going to the US and not the electives?
    Would that not make him ask why are you giving the exam etc and lead us to the fact that we want to go there for a residency?

    I have given Step 1 as you have suggested. How does that help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I said CS was since I did not have electives at the time of interview. Lol. No issues with saying you going for electives

      Delete
  6. Hi Neil,

    I've been reading your blog posts regularly and they have been very helpful. Thanks for all the tips. Just wanted to ask how long after the interview did you get the visa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get the approval immediately. I presume you meant when you get passport. I believe the next day itself, but you have to pick it up from the visa consulate itself!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the post.
    I Would like to share my experience, at the CHENNAI USA CONSULATE (of rejection) of my *F1 visa* (Kaplan step 2 CK course) as well, and hope someone here can opine about the same(and be aware that F1 rejections do happen, with Kaplan).

    I have not given Step 1 yet (but have a scheduling permit). My class start date was 3 days after the exam date.
    I pushed my exam closer to my class start date as I wanted to get the interview over with, early, rather than rush through it, after my exam (since I live with my parents in SAUDI ARABIA, and I have to come to India for the interview--- *I dont know if this was a potential reason for rejection*, seeing I've flown to the Middle easy many times, and I was born and brought up there).

    *She asked me what I'm going for. I said "to study full time with Kaplan for STEP 2CK)
    *Why Kaplan and not other plces? "Because ive prepared with Kaplan before for step 1 and I've studied their material, and I don't want to switch study materials"
    *How do you have so much money? "My dad's a business man in Saudi Arabia for 30 years"
    She said "Really?" I said "Yes, would you like to see documentation, ma'am?"
    She said "your father's funding is a-lot more than your course fee." I said "yes ma'am, he sent those deposit details when I was enrolling in the course, as proof that he can support me, and that I wont be a charge."

    She said "US Immigration law is very strict, and I cannot approve your visa now."

    She handed me a blue slip, and put a cross on the "did not fulfill the criteria for the applied visa" on the back side of the blue slip (214b)

    Its sad because I was trying to catch up for the match this year.

    My questions are :

    1. Try again with a Kaplan F1? Or finish off step-2 ck and apply for a B1 visa, for CS?
    2. Try to take up a research job in usa to fill my time (of 1 year)-- is this a fesabl option? I dont want this one year gap to create issues.
    3. Is this permanent? Will stellar step one scores (and step 2 scores) help?
    4. Should I be worried? :O

    Thank you for reading this.
    Best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 I believe you should try again
      2 Would be a good idea, any research project should be great
      3 Visa rejection does not hit you in any way
      4 You did your best, dont fret about this

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I am a medical student from India (still not a graduate). I have an invitation letter from a University in USA to attend clinical electives there for 4 weeks.. I applied for B1 B2 visa.

    At the interview:

    What is the purpose of your travel?

    I want to attend clinical electives in XYZ University in ABC State

    What do you do here in your country

    I am a medical student doing my MBBS.

    Whats that degree?

    It is Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.

    You are 24 years old and still a bachelor?

    Actually sir it is a long.....(got confused and had a 3 sec pause here) degree, of 4 and a half years (actually it is 5 and a half. I don't know why i said 4 and a half).
    And I am 23 years old sir.

    Oh, I see that you are 23 years old (looking at his computer with a smile)
    Where are you doing your degree?

    ABC medical College.

    Have you been out of your country before?

    No, Sir

    What does your parents do?

    My father is a businessman and my mother is a Government Lecturer.

    What business does he do?

    Marketing........... Cycles business.

    How many employees are there in this business?

    Sir, It is a new business and he has 3 or 4 employees under him.

    Sorry I cant approve your visa because of insufficient ties with your home country.

    I walk away.


    Actually My father does a trading business where he buys cycles from the manufacturer and supply it in three states.He has 4 brands that he supplies and one of them is BSA cycles (an international brand). The turnover is also good . Before that he was doing a job that was marketing, with a similar work. But I was not given a chance to explain that.

    I am left with 2 months of my degree which I will have to complete when I return to India after a month.

    What should I do the next time I get into the interview?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I am a medical student from India (still not a graduate). I have an invitation letter from a University in USA to attend clinical electives there for 4 weeks.. I applied for B1 B2 visa.

    At the interview:

    What is the purpose of your travel?

    I want to attend clinical electives in XYZ University in ABC State

    What do you do here in your country

    I am a medical student doing my MBBS.

    Whats that degree?

    It is Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.

    You are 24 years old and still a bachelor?

    Actually sir it is a long.....(got confused and had a 3 sec pause here) degree, of 4 and a half years (actually it is 5 and a half. I don't know why i said 4 and a half).
    And I am 23 years old sir.

    Oh, I see that you are 23 years old (looking at his computer with a smile)
    Where are you doing your degree?

    ABC medical College.

    Have you been out of your country before?

    No, Sir

    What does your parents do?

    My father is a businessman and my mother is a Government Lecturer.

    What business does he do?

    Marketing........... Cycles business.

    How many employees are there in this business?

    Sir, It is a new business and he has 3 or 4 employees under him.

    Sorry I cant approve your visa because of insufficient ties with your home country.

    I walk away.


    Actually My father does a trading business where he buys cycles from the manufacturer and supply it in three states.He has 4 brands that he supplies and one of them is BSA cycles (an international brand). The turnover is also good . Before that he was doing a job that was marketing, with a similar work. But I was not given a chance to explain that.

    I am left with 2 months of my degree which I will have to complete when I return to India after a month.

    What should I do the next time I get into the interview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear about the rejection. I would reapply but be firm with stating that you have to come back home to get degree or else you will not graduate. That is the biggest reason for you to come back! they cannot deny you then hopefully.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the nice blog shared good information if you want to know more about Services Visa Services in Chennai | US Tourist Visa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I finished my internship in 2017 and am currently doing second year of service obligation in a rural hospital which i'll be finishing in april. So till april 16th atleast i can show that iv strong ties to the country with a letter from my employer. Is it wise to apply for b2 visa now with my scheduling permit for step1 and step2cs alone or should i wait till i finish my step 1 atleast before applying for the visa with the primary objective of giving step 2cs.I intend to write step 1 in march and step 2 cs hopefully in june. Since im not a student anymore i cannot show any other ties to the country apart from the properties i jointly own with my family members.And although i have a us sponsor with a green card and strong financial status, I personally cannot show adequate bank balance unfortunately as im currently doing my bond with minimal pay. I am really worried about my chances of getting the visa.Kindly advice me on what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown, I think you should be good for the visa application. Do not think step 1 would be good/bad. I would apply on the basis of CS and give it your best shot. I would emphasis to the VO that you have to return to India to complete the rural service to get your degree (at least that is what I inferred from your post)

      Delete
  14. Nice and interesting information and informative too.Can you please let me know the good attraction places we can visit: apply for us visa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Neil
    I am a graduate from Hyderabad
    I have my CS exam in July
    My sponsor is staying in US
    The problem is I lost both of my parents and my dads brother is taking care of me but he lives in US
    So what should I show the VO for getting VISA
    I have good Financial status but I don’t know how should I face the interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be frank if you did not graduate I would say that you have to come back to get a degree. Else I really am at loss. I would post of FB and see what others have to say.

      Delete
  16. Thank you very much for your valuable information. can you help me in finding out more detail on US visa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Neil! How are you? I applied for visa on the basis of my CS exam in Delhi and the officer told me I haven’t applied in the right category. I tried explaining it to her that B1/B2 is the right category but once they deny visa, they don’t listen. I saw your blog and it is really helpful. You have mentioned a link for the right category but I am unable to find the explanation of B1/B2 for CS exam. Could you please help me with it? I am planning to reapply but I don’t know if it’s a good idea. They recommend you to change your profile or something before reapplying but I am going to reapply on the basis of CS exam because I have my exam next month. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PS

      Really sorry to hear about the rejection

      1. To be frank I know that it is the right category since you are not the first person to be doing this.
      2. I would post on an FB group and see if anyone has a way to circumvent this issue. I think some people go to another city and have better luck. It just could be that you VO did not know about the USMLE or misunderstood your request. Totally unsure.

      Delete

  18. Uitstekende blog. Bedankt voor het delen van dit informatieve blog. Als iemand een visumaanvraag wil indienen of een visum wil aanvragen of van plan is om naar India, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Turkije te reizen. Dan hoeft u nergens heen. Neem contact op met onze experts om een ​​visum aan te vragen. Onze experts helpen u om binnen 3 werkdagen een visum online te krijgen.

    online visum india
    visum india aanvragen
    visumaanvraag india
    online visum vietnam
    visum vietnam aanvragen
    visumaanvraag vietnam
    online visum sri lanka
    visum sri lanka aanvragen
    visumaanvraag sri lanka
    online visum Turkije
    visum Turkije aanvragen
    visumaanvraag Turkije

    ReplyDelete


  19. Really good post. Thanks for sharing this wonderful informative article. I prefer the XIPHIAS Immigration is one of the best for Australia Visa and immigration services in India and XIPHIAS registered by MARA and get free assessment click below links for more information.

    Australia Visa and Immigration Services
    Australia Skilled Visa Consultants
    Australia Business and Investor Visa Services
    Australia Student Visa Consultants
    Australia Spouse, Family, Partner and Parent Visa Consultants

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was surprised because you did a great job! This blogs for us visa application can be used as reference for projects or thesis about it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For me time is very valuable, so I always manage my time properly then suddenly I have to enter us visa process which I don’t have any ideas about the procedures or anything but your article helps me to understand the process. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I personally believe that us visa process is not easy to do, that’s why we need someone that are capable of helping us on these like bonafide visa.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The process of us visa application won’t take years just to get this, you will just need to meet all the requirements and find some helpful articles like this work and appreciate the effort of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This blog presented itself in a very easy and clear way. Owner of this blog found a very simple way to express its view but when you read this blog completely, you would get to know about how hard it could be to express such in a easy way.visum til usa

    ReplyDelete
  25. you want to get your us visa application you must be aware of things that we need just to pass this application and you would probably need the help of others like bonafide visa this blogs is also helpful because it contains ideas that is really helpful for us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There are always good sides about many things like us visa process although it’s a long process, you will not think of it especially when you have a good reason for it. Thanks author for helping us realized this one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was very thankful and amazed because I’m reading your blogs about us visa process which I really need this time. Since I’m planning to finish my application for us visa without any hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It was a really good article about us visa application, you are very specific and precise in every detail, I must say that it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Neil! How are you? I applied for the B1/B2 visa as I have an invitation for 4 week clinical elective at FIU. For the interview I took all the documents and invite letter however the officer did not see any. I filled in my DS160 as the period of stay- 4 months because I will be doing 3 electives and also I planned to give step 2cs. This interview was at Hyderabad consulate.

    The officer asked me purpose of visit- I told him to do clinical elective in FIU.
    What do u do?- I am final yr student at XYZ.
    So u r a doctor?- No I am yet to be.
    So u go there and treat patients?- no sir, we will be attached to a professor whom we should follow and take the history of patients as guided by them.
    U intend to saty 4months? - Yes sir.
    What do ur parents do?- My father runs automobile business and my mother works as teacher.
    Income? - I said 2-3 lakhs per annum instead of month. I think that was the blunder I committed.
    Sorry I cannot give u a visa.

    I reapplied again within a span of 10 days, this time to Mumbai consulate.
    I changed period of stay to 1 month this time and also took property statement with me.
    What is ur purpose of visit?- Sir I want to have US clinical experience. So I applied for FIU which accepted me for next month to do a month of clinical elective and also I want to visit The Disneyland sir. He was impressed and said that is nice.
    Previously u told 4 months but now 1 month as period of stay? - Sir previously I did not have any specific travel plans, but now I do - he said ok.
    Actually I gave a distant relative's address in point of contact both times.
    He asked, so u want to go to Florida but u gave some other address?- No sir that is just some distant relative. I gave it just for point of contact, I don't intend to visit them.
    So what do ur parents do? Sir my father runs a business and mother is government employee- he said ok.
    He looked at something in computer for few seconds and said - seems like u recently visited my colleague for visa. I cannot see ur circumstances changed from last visit, sorry u may leave. I tried to explain I was wrong about the income part the last time but he did not listen.

    Now can I apply third time? This time again should I change purpose of my visit to step 2cs exam? Or should I go with electives as the reason? I applied for Harvard for elective and waiting for the confirmation. Will their letter help me get the visa? Some of my friends said if electives are at Places like Harvard, acceptance rate will be high. What is the best way for me now ? And some are saying previous rejections will be a red flag in our application.
    Please advice me .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown

      First off I am really sorry about the rejection. Secondly during the rejection, the visa officer generally gives you a reason for the same. Did you get any form that stated what the issue was? From what I see, you said that VO#2 said that your circumstances has not changed. Was there anything in particular that was written in that?

      Delete
    2. They handed me a letter stating that according to section 214b u r not eligible for a non immigrant visa. No specific reason was mentioned.

      Delete
    3. Hi, I am really unsure why they rejected the application then. I would touch base with an immigration attorney/travel agent and see if they can help you out. Best of luck.

      Delete
  30. I remember my friend telling me about us visa application things that is so unique for an individual because not all people would see these things like what you see it. So I guess that you are really unique!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was kinda amazed on the effort you put into this us visa process article will really give some good and valuable thoughts about these things so I must thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. They handed me a letter that says under section 214b u r not eligible for a non immigrant visa. No specific reason was mentioned both times.

    ReplyDelete
  33. They handed me a letter that says under section 214b u r not eligible for a non immigrant visa. No specific reason was mentioned both times.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey Guys,
    Have any business related work in US? Then you will need to obtain US B1 Visa and legally enter in USA. To process your visa hassle free, Contact XIPHIAS Immigration, the best B1 visa consultants for USA in india, in providing visa service since past 14 years.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Mr.Neil
    Thanks for such an informative and helpful blog.
    One question - Did you take your Step 1 and Step 2 CK during your final year of MBBS ?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for the sharing information and keep blogging! I am looking for world best visa consultancy for green card USA. Please reply back.
    Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for the sharing information and keep blogging! I am looking for Canada immigration agency for Canada immigration. Please reply back.
    Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the sharing information and keep blogging! I am looking for Canada immigration agency for Canada immigration. Please reply back.
    Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete