The following website is a good place to read up on the prelim stuff.
I, unfortunately, had issues with my browser (Chrome- given it was translating pages and kept redirecting me a million times)
- Go to the following page and determine your need for the visa/travel https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html
- Once done, they will give you a reference code and a document checklist to keep handy and will help you to fill the visa document. I had the misfortune where my browser kept giving me the following error
- Realized after surfing a million pages and after installing adobe a number of times that it was just a glitch on the system and once you download the PDF (IMM5257E) it will be sorted out. This means you will get a fillable application.
- Once you are done downloading the application and filled it in create a MyCIC login via this link
- Most likely you will have to register for a GCkey (if you have never applied for a visa prior to this)
- Once logged in choose ‘Visitor visa, study and/or work permit’ service to continue. You will be asked to enter the personal reference code you received in the step above. (P.s.- I kept getting redirected at this point- I finally used internet explorer and then things went smoothly thereafter)
- Follow instructions thereafter and it should be smooth sailing. You will have to upload documents (travel history and family history etc), pay stubs, employer letter and what not. At the end of this, you will pay for the application and then finally submit it.
- You will then receive an email stating that they have got your application.
- Within next 1-2 business weeks (please check processing times online- it depends on the place where you have applied from), you will receive an email from CIC asking you to submit your passport to VAC (Visa Application Center). This indicates that your application was approved and now CIC needs your passport to stamp the visa. (This step is the most confusing part of the process as the email from CIC is not descriptive enough and causes confusion among applicants).
|ERROR Message that I kept getting|
- Follow the link in the letter sent by CIC above- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport.html
- Find the center based on geographic location. In the USA it is either LA or New York.
- Find the VAC website which should be mentioned below the options available.
- You will have to submit the following in the mail (by UPS)
- Cashiers check/Money order- Get it from nearby local businesses which might charge 1 dollar to do the same. A bank may charge you 7 dollars which is half the cost of the money you are sending. ($19.90). The fees are listed here. I guess when I submitted my application this place just opened up and hence there was no UPS return fee available, which I expect will change with time.
- Letter from the embassy
- TTS services consent form
- Return shipping label by UPS (go to the nearest UPS store who will help you out with this)