Thursday, October 9, 2014

Step 2 CK experience

Preparation time of around 2 months properly.

Books referred to
  • Kaplan Notes and Videos
  • MTB 2 (Master the Boards)
  • MTB 3
  • 20 cases videos by Conrad Fischer
  • Flashcards by Conrad Fischer
Now my method of studying was like this. Initially tried watching the Kaplan videos the same way I watched it for Step 1 using 3X speed, but this time I did not repeat the mistake of marking in Kaplan textbooks, but marked them in MTB directly since they generally are the same.

There is a lot of confusion on what to read for Step 2. I would say the following. For all internal medicine stuff MTB 2 and all other subjects MTB 3. This is what I did regarding the 2 books and how to read them. Say at the moment I am reading an IM related topic, my base book would be MTB 2. I would quickly go through the book and later quickly scan through MTB 3 and see if there is anything extra or if it the same. If I found anything interesting or better explained in the MTB 3 I would copy it into the base book or make a reference in MTB 2 that the particular topic was well explained in MTB 3. So this way covered both books simultaneously and learned new stuff if any. I know it sounds a bit tedious but you might as well slog now than cry later.

Towards the end of the study period I would recommend using the flash cards. If you can't, then recommend at least Fischer's 20 cases. You will definitely remember them during the exams since they are funny and very graphically explained. I did not give any NBME’s so don't ask me about it. I only gave a UWSA and got a score of 238.

Regarding USMLE world utilization, I would advise this while studying MARK QUESTIONS that you feel is too much to remember or write down in the book, no matter whether you got it right or wrong, so that towards the end prior to your exam, you can do ONLY those MARKED questions and nothing else. Because in the end it comes down to how many times you have done USMLE world and how much you can remember and how quickly.

Finally at times you might feel you are ill prepared for the exam since you just heard someone give some long convoluted explanation for something which you have a simple way to understand, follow your method because it way more easier to remember and reproduce at the exam.  I mean some person I studied with knew all the anti-arrhythmics and which class they belonged to. I naturally started panicking that I have no clue about that. I just knew adenosine or some drug was used for the problem and that was the end of it. He even explained the idea behind it, but now that I look back it though it made me wiser it did not help me in any way for boosting my confidence or score since if you the basic gist of why something is done it should be enough.

Lastly please don't think you don't know anything and that you will mess up, trust me you won't. Taking my own case let me tell you that I even wanted to delay my exam or so to say drop the entire year and prepare for the exam later. But my mom firmly told me if I delay this exam she will not be sponsoring the rescheduling fee and that was just 2 weeks prior, so imagine my plight then. She happily even states that she has full confidence that I will get a good score. I tried convincing her otherwise but to no avail. 

Finally when doomsday arrived I only thought I would be flunking but by the grace of god and of course my parent’s prayers got a decent score of 242. Not too bad I must say at least for the effort that I put just happy it a decent scoreJ

This was in short my study method. I owe my scores to god definitely and so also to my parents and friends for praying for me.

People have asked me which book is good for what. The following is how I did it. You might have your own preference. Stick to what is good for you.

MTB 2

  • Infectious Diseases plus MTB 3 ending
  • Allergy and Immunology
  • Cardio
  • Endo
  • Pulmonary
  • Rheumat
  • Hemat
  • Gastro
  • Nephro

MTB 3

  • Preventive
  • Dermat
  • Surgery
  • Peds
  • Obs
  • Gyn

Read BOTH

  • Onco
  • Radio
  • Psyche
  • Emergency/Toxic
  • Ethics

11 comments:

  1. Hi.. Thank you :) well written.. I want to know from where did you get Flash cards and the videos.. I stay in mlore.. Is there anyway I can get hold of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a score of 241. I had a similar studying experience. Pretty much same thing happened to me too. I was told (forced) by my family to take the exam and not postpone it. I was reluctant but now I am happy I got a decent score. But to be honest, I didn't end up answering almost 8 questions due to lack of time. I felt very relieved and happy when I got a score of 241 despite that. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys:) Ya parents though scary at first have more confidence in you than you ever can have :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Neil, for sharing your experience. Good luck and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey neil,kaplan is so much xtra info as compared to mtb. u wrote all of the extra things in videos into mtb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaplan is just for getting into the groove. You DO NOT have to know everything. (Plus I did not have time as I wanted to match in the same year).

      Apologies for the delay. Thought had replied earlier.

      Delete
  6. there are so many flashcards by cornard. which one to use exactly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, The flashcards do not take too much time to be frank. Read as much as you can. It like a quick revision before the exams :)

      Delete
  7. http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Medical-USMLE-Diagnostic-Flashcards/dp/160978037X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434684230&sr=8-1&keywords=usmle+flash+cards or http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Medical-USMLE-Examination-Flashcards/dp/1607149036/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1434684230&sr=8-7&keywords=usmle+flash+cards or http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Medical-Physical-Findings-Flashcards/dp/1607146185/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1434684230&sr=8-10&keywords=usmle+flash+cards thats what i want to know?

    ReplyDelete