Friday, January 30, 2015

Simple Indian Dal recipe!

This post is just to help one survive outside ones home once we match in the States. This post is NOT AT ALL RELATED TO THE USMLE STEPS! It is just a survival post :P 

Now that I am done with the interview trail I thought why not start doing some electives in the kitchen with my mom being my Attending. At least that would let me take my mind off the fear of the Match. Anyways before I start about the dish a quick overview of me. I cooked a few dishes when I was in the States with my cousins who I must say are awesome chefs. My cousins cut onions with speed equal to that which one would see on a Master Chef episode. And the slices are quite thin to be frank, I was put to shame when I thought I cut fine.

So coming back to my background in the kitchen. I have been in the kitchen since a kid. Before you start thinking I am some child prodigy in the kitchen, let me tell you one thing I am a prodigy yes but not in cooking but in eating. My friends will vouch for that one I am sure! So even though I can make a few vegetable sukkas (they are really simple, trust me when I say that) quite well I thought why not try my hand at some authentic south Indian dish and what better than a good old side dish - Dal.

So when I searched for the term Indian Dal recipes on google, my subconscious told me I will try the first recipe that popped up on the search list.  To be frank turned out decently well. At least I am surviving till now to serve as testimony to it J

The original recipe can be found here



Ingredients
  • 1 cup red lentils (Dal), rinsed well (I used a steel tumbler that I had in the house)
  • 3 cm fresh ginger, sliced
  • 1 cinnamon stick (broken into pieces)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves – Did not use since I am not aiming to be a master chef :P

The instructions to be followed are pretty simple and can be broken down into 3 parts
  1. Place lentils, ginger and cinnamon in a large pan with 3 cups of cold water. (Ratio is 1 cup Dal: 3 Cups of water for people who like be want it to be quick and simple) Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring to prevent sticking for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or till it turns brown. Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, garam masala and chilli flakes and cook for a further minute and add salt to taste.
  3. Add the cooked dal to the pan and mix well. Cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in coriander and serve hot with rice or naan bread or pappadums!



 Best of luck for both the cooking and the exams! :P

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi, Garam masala can be found in any of the Indian stores (Patel brothers, Lakshmi or India grocers)

      Delete