Saturday, January 17, 2015

Step 3

This post is more on the exam than on a study plan for sure since I feel that is more confusing than the study preparation itself. Basic format of the NEW exam is as follows

DAY 1
  • Total exam duration - 7 hours
  • Has 6 blocks – 42-43 questions with 60 minutes for each block.
DAY 2
  • Total exam duration 9 hours in total. Has 2 parts
  • Part 1 –
o   6 blocks with 33 questions and 45 minutes for each block.
  • Part 2 – (CCS)
o   13 case simulations with each being either 10 or 20 minutes in length.

The MAIN change according to me is in the scheduling of the exam. I mean in the new pattern you can schedule day 2 of your exam at a different date but at the SAME test centre and within 14 days.

Materials I used:

  1. OLD MTB 3
  2. USMLE world - Qbank, CCS, UWSA
  3. Archer introductory videos

The general question on everyone’s mind at the moment I think is should I read my basic science book like 1st aid for Step 1 and go through biochemistry and learn the enzymes and also to buy the new MTB 3 (I have not read it so not sure about MTB 3 new addition) My advice would be a firm NO, as I feel step 3 is basically the same as CK but they are more focused on the management aspect of the patient and how you can apply your BASIC science concepts. At least for me it wasn't like step 1 where I had to mug up a couple of enzyme names and know the deficiency of which causes what and so on and so forth. My advice would be prepare the same as you would for the old step 3 examination. In addition to the Uworld qbank do the Uworld self-assessment test and USMLE.org practice materials.

Coming to the CCS part of the exam I felt this part was my Achilles heel. I would highly recommend doing the Uworld CCS cases as many times as possible and read the explanation. Also Uworld also gives you a PDF handout for 40 to 50 cases which I think is good enough. Furthermore to help in CCS there is a person called Archer who has a course.  I recommend watching his CCS Strategies video which is 2.45 hours long which gives you a quick over view of CCS. Also do the CCS cases that USMLE has on their web site.

The difficulty of the questions were essentially according to me like Step 2 CK, but as I do not have my result I would not like to say anything for sure. Also I felt day 2 was tougher than day 1 but some guys I spoke to felt both days were easy. Any how my study time was around a month and a half technically with studies being in between interviews and Christmas festivities. At the moment as my result is unknown I cannot exactly say whether it was sufficient or not but hoping for the best.

Good luck to all who are giving it soon!

(Update 25th March 2015- Pass)


2 comments: